Friday, March 26, 2010

This week's Frontline: Digital Nations

The first thing I recall from this video is the part where the army uses video games to recruit kids as young as 13. Now I do believe this is a progressive way to get children interested in joining the army but why at such a young age? I mean, I don't think kids are dumb enough to not be able to differentiate between the game world and reality and think it's okay to go out there and start shooting people. There are many similar first-shooter games out there but they are rated for older audiences for a reason, at least I believe so. Kids should stick with playing more peaceful, bright, colorful jolly games instead of those violent and aggressive ones the army is having them play because kids can just get brain-washed so easily and can be sensitive to what their minds absorb and bloody war games should the last thing they should be thinking about. You don't want to hear you're kid saying, "I wanna shoot people's brains out!" when asked what they want to be when they grow up. If you ask me, I'd be on the rebelling parents' side and yell out whatever it was that was written on their posters.
The second part is the Korean kids gluing their faces to the computer screen in the gaming center all day. I think it really has caused a serious disorder and more psychiatrists should acknowledge its threats so more parents can be aware of it as well. I'm not too sure if the camp idea is helping much because according to what Frontline was showing us, all those kids were thinking nothing but of going home to their beloved computer games. But what they're teaching the second graders (especially the song) is a good start and hopefully the next generation's kids will find better ways to spend their childhood lives than just playing games all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment