Wednesday, February 24, 2010

chapter 5, Growing Up Online

I do believe that the president of the PTA (I think it was) is a bit paranoid but considering possibilities of online bullying that lead to kids committing suicide, parents should keep track of their children; not to the point where they ask for account passwords but to at least have a chat with them every now and then just to make sure they're not secretly living a miserable life. It's definitely hard to stay in close contact with teens keep track of them will most likely irritate them and might cause them to drift away from the family but as a parent, you must be responsible of your kids' actions and is your duty to help lead them on the right path.
If I had a teenage kids, I don't think I'd let them keep a computer in their own room because I know as teens, they'll probably lock themselves up in their rooms never participating in family activities, but at least I know they're not chatting with Lord knows who all day. I don't want to be a lousy parent and rather be a proud one. Kids these days are much smarter than we think but there still are naive ones that can seriously use some parental guidance. Based on what we saw in class today, I think "To Catch a Predator" is a great starting point to show young teens what they may be getting themselves into from too much online chatting!
I hope I don't sound TOO much like the crazy mom..

No comments:

Post a Comment