Friday, April 9, 2010

Topic for my research paper

I have an interest in all the various types of impacts the media has on people. But there's too many to cram into a 6-page paper so I'm narrowing it down to a specific 'branch' which is something that not much people realize since it's become too much of a habit, "How the media is changing our language".
In just one generation, it has become so easy and convenient communicate that even a couch-potato can be considered social. But thanks to all of accommodation with the new media, people have become lazy when messaging each other. This is where the "globespeak"(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3125891.stm), internet acronyms, comes in. So many words have been have been shortened that even the most common greetings like "Hello" and "Goodbye" have been made obsolete. Standard American English (SAE)is slowly being replaced! (Crossing the Digital Divide by Barbara Monroe, pg. 50)
This is only part of the argument I am trying to improvise. I also believe this linguistic change is starting to affect the way we write, be it cover letters, stories, reports, blogs, basically anything that requires formal English.
When I wrote my first blog in this class, Dr. Johnson, I would have left it as that unnoticed. Now, I am being extra careful with words and hope to get rid of this unnecessary tendency, at least when typing. As for texting, well I don't really see the need to be formal since text methods by phone aren't really used when talking to formally important people like your boss or professor. So I'll probably stick with the acronyms just to be able to text faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment